Sunday, February 28, 2010

7 Weeks: I can't believe I'm on the final stretch

Oh, I know Jon has 2 more official weeks of fitness camp, but between him gone, these projects at work, my house, kid's school work, winter upon us, and so forth, I've felt a bit buried.  However, I can now see a beaming light at the end of this tunnel. I see that my work deadline to release the guide is this coming Friday, it's starting to show signs of spring, Jon will be home before I know it, and hopefully with Jon home we can make a better offensive and defensive team on getting kid's chores and projects done.  It's so refreshing to see the pressure lightening up.

So, what have I learned from this experience?
Well, I have many more people behind me than I thought.  Family has called to check on me not to mention help me out with the kids and house.  Even people at church check in on us.  There probably hasn't been a week at church where at least 2 to 3 people haven't asked about Jon and those of us at home.  I'm stronger than I think, and yet not as strong as I thought (figure that one out).  I learned I couldn't do it all without anyone's help.  I've been humbled and left grateful that I didn't have to.  I've continued to learned that some things just don't matter, no matter how embarrassing they might be.  I've gained a strong belief that taking some time off is valuable to sanity, even if it's a walk around the block.  I've also realized that I can still eat and live healthy BUT I have to schedule it.  Letting each day take me on unprepared was never good.  But if I took a few minutes to decide what I was going to eat and when I was going to exercise, I did pretty good.

I'd like to say that I've learned it can't get much worse, but I won't tempt fate by saying so, because I'm sure it could.  I look at my visiting teacher and this last year she's had to do her daughter's wedding, send her son on a mission, get her son through his final eagle scout requirements, found out her 15 year old son has cancer and get through that, and then her husband lost his job of 20 years.  That's a lot coming at ya in just a year.  Talked to her today and she said it's made her a grateful person and she wouldn't trade it for anything. She was blessed through each step of it and each challenge/trial prepared her for the next one ahead.  She said she never had to say, "why me?"

I've also learned that we need to make good choices from the beginning to avoid some of the harder challenges and choices later on.  Sometimes the best and smartest path to take isn't nearly as easy or fun.  The path of least resistance is paved with pleasure and indulgences that always require a large toll at the end.  You can't back out easily without paying that toll, and how far you do down that path increases that toll.  I just hope I can be smart enough and wise enough to recognize the right path each day when it's presented to me, and strong enough to choose that path.  I know better, but the other path seems so much easier and fun....at least at the time it does, never at the end  Regrets are heavy to carry. It's time to stop being stupid.

So, am I in the final stretch? Oh, probably not.  But, I know I get to make a pit stop here soon, refuel and start back out for another adventure. But hopefully I've gained a greater respect for obstacles life sends me and don't shrug them off.

No comments: