So today was the big exchange. Katherine and I left around 7:30 this morning to meet up in Grand Junction, CO (halfway point for trading off the younger kids). I was hoping to leave by 7:00 to give myself some leway but as life happens we didn't really get on the road until closer to 7:40. According to mapquest, this would get us in at exactly 12:00, if there were no delays....there were no delays, there were no delays (I feel like a Gilligan's Island episode).
First we were driving down I-15 and were several miles past Provo, having a nice visit with the kids, when I suddenly thought, "We should have seen signs to Price by now". I decided that instead of driving much further I ought to pull off right away to see where I needed to turn off. Only problem, the next exit had no civilization, so I went to the next exit. I found out the turnoff was 2 exits backs, so I literally just missed it.
We were about 20 mile-ish from Price and I passed a road that said "Starvation Road". I joked about it and shortly thereafter the kids started puking. Jillian then Deanna then Jacob. I said just because it said Starvation Road it didn't mean they had to empty their tummys. So, at this point I decided that making a stop would be wise. When we got into Price I stopped at Kmart to get some ziplock baggies and to give the kids a chance walk around. Usually when we travel we keep baggies in the car. They're great for dividing treats and passing them around, and also they make good containment bags for when the kids get sick. Later Jillian had another scare and then Deanna followed it up with the real McCoy again.
We got to Grand Junction about 12:15 and we stopped at Wendy's to get lunch. Katherine showed up while we were ordering around 12:40ish and I filled her in on the happenings.
We didn't stick a round long, gassed up, and headed out. We were on the road by 2:00. Sam and Ben fell asleep and I had 2+ hours of peace and quiet. It was so nice. Although there's been some snow flurries and snow on the road earlier, it was clear now and quiet pleasant. We passed Price and Ben woke up. I saw the "Starvation Road" sign again and noticed Ben rolling down the windows. Apparently I wasn't going to have a "car sick" trip back either. We pulled off after his episode and got stuck in some slushy snow/mud. A man and his wife came by and that time and pulled us out (thank goodness we carry a tow rope in the car). It didn't take much. I may have been able to wiggly us out of it, but this was faster and easier.
We got home by 6:00 and I called Katherine. Apparenlty Jillian got sick 5 more times and Deanna a few more. I can't believe this. She'll probably think twice before offering to take the kids.
THANK KATHERINE AND FAMILY. Sorry about the inconvenience.
Also, got 2.7 miles on the treadmill before I left, and just finished the last 2 miles when I got home to complete my marathon.
Saturday, February 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment