Wednesday, February 3, 2010

3 Weeks and 3 Days: Which path do I take?

This may sound funny, but I feel a bit enlightened after last night.  I put in a long day at work and didn't think I'd have time to finish my miles for the day, but I just did it.  Then I watched Biggest Loser and for some reason I started thinking about what I would say if I was sent home.  They always say stuff like, "America, the next time you'll see me I'll be a smokin' 140 lbs" or silly stuff like that.  This got me to thinking. Unless they're not factoring in that we get to see them in their "How they look today" spotlight halfway through the show, pretty much none of there.

So, what would I say?  I realized that, although I want to GET thin and in shape, really what I need to think about is BEING fit (thin) and in shape.  This may not make sense to the reader of this, but it really hit me.  My journey is ongoing, I'm always going somewhere. It's the path I choose on that journey that matters. Sometimes that's the 'fitness path' sometimes it's the 'lazy path' sometimes it's the 'unhealthy path' and so on.  Now here's the problem with us being on a path.  We're like a car or back/muscle out of alignment.  If we've stayed on a path for too long, our vehicle (us) keeps wanting to veer in that direction or go back to where it's been. Like a back/muscle, putting something back where it should be doesn't just fix it forever.  It takes time and realignment over and over and over again until finally the muscle is willing to let the back stay where it should be.

I've known this all along of course, but last night it just hit me harder than usual.  I have to make the choice, a conscious choice, all the time to bring myself back into alignment with where I want to go (be on the right path).  I can't just say, "I'm going to get in shape" or "get thin".  Those are all part of the journey (not the destination), and I must choose the journey's path all the time (to BE not GET..and BEING doesn't make it the end).  For example, getting in my miles today seems even harder, but I thought, I'm either doing this or not.  It's not going to happen unless I just DO IT.  I shouldn't have to think about it, I just follow the path of fitness and health.

So I've probably rambled enough.

Still lots of work I've got to get done and Samantha has New Beginnings tonight the parent's are invited to, so my time is limited.

Good luck to each of you on your journey.  May the path you choose introduce you to things you never thought imaginable (see my comment on the prevous post).

PS-14 miles down. Over halfway there, and I've got the blisters to prove it.

2 comments:

cruisin2fitness said...

But what if I want it ot be a destination and not a journey?

The Brady 8 said...

good luck with that. I guess you can have a destination, but unfortunately, you continue your journey too. So, it possible you'll reach that "destination" and then just move right out of it if you not moving to stay there.